run - swim - repeat
SwimRun in the UK is now hugely popular with quite a few events up and down the country. The event started in Sweden and is called Otillo. Most are long distance (about 20-30k) so aimed more at elite athletes. They are also very expensive to enter.
We started ours back in 2017, when SwimRun wasn’t widely known, and designed ours for all abilities. So, our event is a much shorter course, with about 6k running and 1k of swimming but split into a few short runs with a short swim in between each. While this makes it idea for beginners, the nature of SwimRun, with the constant in and out of water, is a good physical challenge for anybody looking for a change from pure running or swimming.
Due to it’s short length and the warmish water in the lake, you don’t need any special kit, it can easily be done in running shorts, t-shirt and old pair of trainers.
- Registrations is at the Sailing Club (BS21 7QU)
- You will be given an ID-tag to wear throughout the race.
- Wear the ID-tag facing upwards to help faster scanning (OUTSIDE your wetsuit if wearing one).
KIT, BAG-DROP, SHOWERS
- Please bring your own swim hat if you choose to wear one.
- You can use swimming equipment like pull buoys, paddles, tow floats, wetsuit, BUT whatever you use you must have at the finish.
- You can leave kit safely at the Sailing Club. There are also hot showers downstairs. Mens: directly as you come in. Ladies: door to steps leading down behind the bar.
- For help: float on your back, raise an arm.
- To withdraw: exit the water, inform a marshal and return your ID-tag.
- Be courteous: swim round, not over others! SWIM AT YOUR OWN PACE. RELAX & ENJOY IT
- DO NOT dive or jump into the lake or sea in case of hidden submerged rocks. Take your time scrambling down the rocks into the sea, they will be slippery
- We share the paths: avoid collisions and give way if necessary; pass anyone carefully and give a polite shout which side you are passing if approaching from behind.
- There will be checkpoints along the course telling you where to go next. There will be a marshal at each.
- The course will be marked with SMALL yellow arrows. Learn the route; don’t assume the person in front knows the way!
BAD WEATHER & WATER QUALITY
- Lightening is the only factor that will stop the event.
- Clevedon Marine Lake monitor the water quality. It is mostly at a standard that allows swimming without risk.
- We will try to tell you well in advance if there is any issue causing us to cancel the event. However, sometimes a final decision can only be made on the day, in which case we will tell you at registration.
- SOLO RUNNER
- TEAM OF TWO
- Under 18s must provide signed consent form; minimum age is 12 by event date.
- Disabilities welcome, please contact us to discuss how we can safely include you
- We use ID-tags for SAFETY tracking. They record times but water can interfere with the NFC chip inside, so if you need a race time, please bring your own timing equipment.