swim - run - finish
An aquathlon is like a triathlon but without the bike stage, so just: Swim. Change. Run. Finish. Easy!
- TEAM NOVICE
- TEAM SPRINT
PRICE & LIMITS:
- Entry is £20 per person
- Max. 100 entrants
- Under 18s must provide signed consent form; minimum age is 12 by event date.
- Disabilities welcome, please contact us to discuss how we can safely include you
- Go SOLO or as TEAM (1 swimmer + 1 runner)
- Two distances: NOVICE (swim 400m + run 2.5k) or SPRINT (swim 750m + run 5k)
We use ID-tags for SAFETY tracking. They record times but water can interfere with the NFC chip inside. So if your race time is important to you, please bring your own timing equipment.
REGISTRATION & SET UP
- Registrations is at the Sailing Club (BS21 7QU)
- You will be given an ID-tag to wear throughout the race.
- Wear the ID-tag facing upwards, OUTSIDE your wetsuit to help faster scanning
- Walk to the Transition Area at the lake to set up your kit ready for the race briefing.
- Race briefing is approx. 10 minutes followed by 5 mins to acclimatise in the water.
- You may enter the water to acclimatise but keep close to the transition area to hear the briefing.
- It is your choice if you wear a wetsuit or not.
- The start will be at the shallow end of the lake where swimmers can stand
- Faster swimmers line up nearer the starter buoy, slower swimmers line up behind
- There will be a SINGLE MASS START. Usually we fire a pistol and lower a flag
- The course direction is clockwise. Swim on the outside of the course buoys, passing each on your right side.
- Kayaks will be in the lake for safety only, NOT to direct you, so don’t follow them
- Most of the lake is shallow enough to stand. The deepest parts are beside the sea wall
- For help: float on your back, raise an arm. Follow all instructions the kayaker gives
- To withdraw: exit the water, inform a marshal and return your ID-tag.
- Be courteous: swim round, not over others! SWIM AT YOUR OWN PACE.
- Exit the water up the ramp at the shallow end. Be careful of tripping or slipping.
- Timing marshals will scan your tag to record your time. Wear the tag facing upwards, on your right hand, outside your wetsuit to help faster scanning
- Change into your running gear
- Ask if you need help getting out of your wetsuit, we’re not running under strict rules
- the runner must wait in the transition area
- after the swimmer’s ID-tag has been scanned, pass it to the runner to set off
- Exit Transition up the slope, turn left along the seafront towards the pier and turn point
- At the turn point , go round the marshal clockwise and head back towards the lake
- After passing the amusement arcade, run down the path beside the skateboard park, turn left and follow the path round the perimeter of the Salthouse Fields, up past the kiddies play area and turn left towards the lake and its top ramp.
- Run the lower promenade towards the Transition Area then:
- Novices turn left to the finish funnel.
- Sprinters run straight up the slope for a second lap before finishing.
PLEASE HAND BACK YOUR ID-TAG AT THE FINISH